February 2, 2011

Turnley Family Granola


After dating James for a little while, I quickly realized he had an affinity for peanut butter. I also realized he didn't like chocolate, which was almost a deal breaker for me but he was just so cute I couldn't let the fact that he wouldn't touch my chocolate chip cookies get the best of me! So--I've adapted.

James' mom makes an excellent peanut butter granola that he loves (and I do too) so a couple weekends ago I emailed her for the recipe and this is what happened.


Thats my kitchen and its a mess. You might be wondering why there is a big jug of grapefruit juice and whole grain pasta on the counter? Well, that day I also made a baked ziti and enchiladas and chocolate chip cookies and I did it all at once. ha!



Here is my granola and my wooden spoon that I got honey on so it stuck to my hand for the entire time.


Finished product! James said it was good and gave me a tip or two for reaching the full potential next time (to be more like his mooommmmsss) and so I'll take that into consideration for next time.



Results: Very easy and really delicious. Snack on it alone or pour milk over it and eat like cereal!


Peanut Butter Granola
2/3 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/3 cup honey
4 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats (not "Quick Oats")
In a large saucepan, over medium heat, melt the butter. Then turn off heat and add peanut butter; when melted and smooth, stir in the honey.
Add the oats, one cup at a time; this gets harder with each addition, so use a nice smooth handled spoon for comfort. Add peanuts if using.
Spray a large oval on a cookie sheet
Scrape out the granola onto your cookie sheet about 1 1/4 inches high.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees; then put the granola in and bake for about 9 minutes.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. That looks yum. May I suggest adding pretzels? Or dates? Or maybe I will just add those when I try this recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete

Tags