April 3, 2010

Change of Scenery

It's a gorgeous day today and yesterday and oh boy--tomorrow! It's still going to be nice. I love that the clouds have gone away for a few days, although I don't love the little sunburn I got in the 30 minutes I sat outside yesterday but I'll take it. I won't complain, this weather is wonderful.

I mentioned in my last post that I'd be spending some time at my friend Jen's apartment for a few days, taking care of her cat and her mini garden (all of which are still alive after 4 days of being here!). But, what I failed to mention and what I didn't even know when I wrote that post is how much I love her neighborhood.

I've had the opportunity to walk up and down these streets of her neighborhood in Brooklyn, pop in and out of little shops and am currently lounging on her deck basking in the sun with a nice little ice coffee in hand from a cafe down the street. I mean, does this not sound perfect to you?

It's strange how neighborhoods can reflect your personality or the lifestyle you want/wish you lived. I didn't know much about NYC before I moved here. I knew that it was expensive and I knew that I didn't want to spend my whole paycheck on rent. So, I moved to Queens. Don't get me wrong, I love Astoria too--great little neighborhood and a perfect park near by. But, I just went with it. I didn't explore many other neighborhoods but for some reason when I came to Jen's I realized that it is possible to live in a place that actually ENHANCES who you are. I never thought about it much before but the place where you live has the possibility to help you grow and get closer to the person you want to be. Who knew?

Even if I don't move here, or anywhere near here, I am glad I know that there is a little bit of NYC that fits me because for anyone that has lived here, they know that this city is big and in order to make it your home you must carve it out and make your own little family of people, places and things that are yours. And I know I can come down here and stroll around (and don't think I won't come back and sit on this pretty deck and catch some sun with Jen) and I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tags