July 20, 2010

Bumps and Bruises

Two weekends ago I went horseback riding for the first time in a LONG time. While it used to be something I did two or three times a week as a girl, it has been at least five or so years since I've even been on a horse. But, when given the opportunity to ride again I had to jump at the chance because after all, you definitely don't get that kind of offer everyday.

So, I took the train out to Westchester NY and jumped into the saddle! Just the feeling of even being inside a barn again was totally exciting and when Tara, my generous friend who owns this horse, let me take the lead with getting Lily ready I was as giddy as a school girl. It just felt so right being there, with the horses and the riders--it was a pretty nostalgic moment.

However, lets just remember its been quite some time since I've been riding and also: Lily is a thoroughbred race horse. Granted, she is off track now but she was raised a racer and she still has that side to her. Tara warmed her up for a bit and then I hopped on. I had hoped it would all go smoothly and it would all come back to me and while most of my horsemanship did--lets just say a few things gotten lost. I did some great loops around the ring with her but on my fourth or fifth time around Lily tested me out and oohhhh boy have I got the bruises to prove it.

No I didn't fall--I jumped off okay? Its different. Oh and I landed on my feet--so that definitely doesn't count as a fall. AND I got back on because come on people--"back in the saddle" you've heard it.

All in all, it was a fab afternoon and I can't wait to go back but perhaps this time I'll take a lesson or maybe, I don't know, NOT RIDE A WARMBLOODED RACEHORSE WHEN I SHOULD HAVE BEEN RIDING A PONY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tags